Monday, July 30, 2007

I doh!

A romantic mountain-top marriage proposal did not go quite to plan after the bride-to-be ended up in hospital. Sharon Parry had just said "yes" to Andy Laurence's proposal on Moel Siabod near Capel Curig in Snowdonia, when she fell and badly cut her head.

The couple, along with Ms Parry's daughter Olivia, seven, and dog, Devon, had to call mountain rescuers. Ms Parry said: "It was really unlucky, but thinking about it after - it could have been much worse".

Nursing stitches and bruising, she is now recovering at the couple's home in Pentre Broughton, Wrexham.

"We had been looking at rings for a while and Sharon had said which one she liked, so I'd gone back and secretly bought it," said Mr Laurence. "I'd told Olivia and she was bursting got tell her mum. When we got to the top of the mountain I asked Olivia, with a wink, to take some pictures of the scenery, and then I went down on one knee and asked Sharon to marry me."

A "very surprised" Ms Parry said yes, but on the way down the mountain a short while later she fell about 6ft (1.8m) badly cutting her head above the right eye.

Mr Laurence said: "I had a first aid kit with me and bandaged her but I rang 999 anyway and they said to start making our way down and the mountain rescue team would meet us. I had champagne on ice in the fridge at home waiting for us to get back, but Sharon had to spend the night in hospital instead," he added.

No comments: