Thursday, March 29, 2007

Tooth Fairy Sculptor

An artist who carved tooth fairies from her extracted wisdom teeth has been inundated with requests from parents to sculpt their children's molars.

Cordelia Cembrowicz's sculptures represent the pain and relief of losing a tooth and came about when she felt unable to throw away her teeth after a visit to the dentist.
advertisement

Miss Cembrowicz, 23, from Bristol, said: "When I held [my teeth] I realised what a powerful material they were and decided to work with them - and the first thing that sprang to mind was the Tooth Fairy. She symbolised both sanctuary and reward, arriving as a blessing after a period of pain."

Using a specially adapted drill and a rotary cutter, she spends up to 20 hours sculpting each tooth

Miss Cembrowicz studied art at Central St Martin's in London and has exhibited at the Artonomy Gallery in Truro. Her work is currently on show in Gstaad, Switzerland, where she has her first solo exhibition.

"So many parents want me to carve their children's milk teeth as a treasured keepsake and I'm happy to carve them," she said.

"Their smallness brings its own problems as you can't place them in a clamp so you have to hand hold them and be extraordinarily careful how you carve them.

"I can carve a milk tooth in about seven hours and I charge around £100 pounds. It did take me by surprise just how popular this sort of sculpting is."

Olivia Hill, a mother-of-five, said: "My son Oliver thought they were wonderful. They are stunningly beautiful and look like tiny angels. I think it's a marvellous idea.

"At first you think there is something slightly off about carving human teeth until you see them and then they take your breath away." in pictures

No comments: