Sunday, August 19, 2007

Stolen minatures returned

Three tiny sculptures worth £½million were sold at a car boot sale — for £20.

The minute works of art, less than a millimetre in size and mounted in the eyes of needles, were stolen in London in 2001. They were created by artist Willard Wigan and depict Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Tower Bridge and Jesus.

Cabinet maker Anthony Barry, 27, spotted them on sale and snapped them up. His girlfriend then realised they were Willard’s missing work because she had seen him on TV.

Anthony, of Swindon, Wilts, said: “I couldn’t believe it when I realised they were worth £165,000 each. I knew I had to give them back to Willard.”

Grateful Willard, 50, of Birmingham, said: “I was in shock. Anthony is a genuine and honest man. I offered him a reward but he refused it.”

2 comments:

Dx said...

Dear Willard
Please send the reward to me. I'm a really nice guy and, being Scottish, I won't sqaunder it.
Dx

dom said...

How did you find something so small, were you searching haystacks again?