“He said, I quote, ‘Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached,’ ’’ the pope said.
Benedict also briefly considered the Islamic concept of jihad, which he defined as “holy war,” and said that violence in the name of religion was contrary to God’s nature and to reason.
In the speech, Benedict did not say whether he agreed with the quotations he cited. But on Sunday he delivered a rare papal expression of regret, saying, “These were in fact quotations from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought.”
So Here's what the peace loving Muslims did ;-
- In the southern Iraqi city of Basra, protesters burned an effigy of the pope, and an Iraqi group linked to Al Qaeda posted a warning on a Web site threatening war against “worshipers of the cross.”
- nice move ,nothing vengeful there
- And, as a Vatican official said its ambassadors would seek to better explain the pope’s statement, a Turkish man with a fake gun tried to storm a Protestant church in Turkey’s capital, Ankara. He was arrested after worshipers trapped him in the church entryway.
- some would consider that cool, well in a civilised society ,maybe not
- "We tell the worshipper of the cross (the Pope) that you and the West will be defeated, as is the case in Iraq, Afghanistan,Chechnya," said a Web statement by the Mujahideen Shura Council, an umbrella group led by Iraq's branch of al Qaeda. "We shall break the cross and spill the wine," said the statement, posted on Sunday on an Internet site often used by al Qaeda and other militant groups.
- Nice speach dude, nowt like being nice or non threatening
- In Iraq's southern city of Basra, up to 150 demonstrators chanted slogans and burned a white effigy of the Pope. "No to aggression!," "We gagged the Pope!," they chanted in front of the governor's office in the Shi'ite city.
- Yeah burning is good , ask the KKK, nice way to gag, my friends !
- Two gunmen killed an Italian nun and her bodyguard at a hospital Sunday, and a security official for an Islamic militia controlling the capital speculated the attack was linked to worldwide Muslim anger over a speech by Pope Benedict XVI. The nun, whose identify was not released, was shot in the back four times at the entrance to the Austrian-run S.O.S. Hospital in northern Mogadishu, said Dr. Mohamed Yusuf, a physician at the facility, which serves mothers and children.
- Nice touch Nun killing , obviously non -violent too
Obviously the Pope needed to apologise because Muslims all around the world are so peaceful and love life ......... like SHIT !