Friday, May 23, 2008

Fries for the bride

A burger-loving couple who fell in love over the internet will celebrate their marriage with a Big Mac at McDonald's.

Alice Clark, 26, and her fiance Terry Speller, 25, from St Austell, will be chauffeur driven straight from their wedding at Falmouth Maritime Museum to the town's McDonald's fast food restaurant.

Once there, the happy couple will munch on burgers and fries for the first time as husband and wife, on June 21.

They will be joined by Alice's brother and sister-in-law at the fast food wedding reception before joining friends and family for a celebration at the County Arms in Truro.

The unusual wedding meal originated from Alice's loathing of buffet food. She said: "Terry's parents are organising a buffet and I hate buffet food so Terry jokingly said let's go to McDonalds.

"I immediately said: 'In full wedding gear?' Terry then realised I was being serious so said 'why not'. "I spoke to our car driver and he said yes, but we can't do the drive through as the car won't fit."

The couple first met on the internet over networking site My Space. Terry knew few people when he moved to Cornwall from Essex so emailed people from the county with similar interests to himself.

He said: "When I found Alice on the website I thought she looked really nice in her photo. I emailed her but did not hear for a month or so and then she replied." The couple swapped emails and phone numbers for a while before meeting on a night out in Truro.

Terry said: "The more I got to know her the more I got to like her. The picture did not do her justice. I thought when I first saw her she was the one for me."

A McDonald's spokesman was pleased at the couple's wedding day meal choice.

No comments: