Monday, May 05, 2008

Kitchen fall

A father and his daughter were rescued after falling into a cavity when the kitchen floor of their Newcastle home collapsed, a fire brigade said.

The pair became trapped when they fell through rotten floorboards in the ground-floor flat in Ethel Street, Elswick, Newcastle, in the early hours.

It is thought the man was trapped and called for his daughter's help but she then also fell into the 4ft-deep space.

Tyne and Wear Fire Brigade used a short extension ladder to free the pair.

The woman was placed on a spinal board as a precaution and both were taken to Newcastle General Hospital.

The man is not thought to be seriously injured. His daughter has a suspected broken ankle.

No comments: