Friday, December 01, 2006

Puppy killer sign offensive ?

A Tennessee woman put up a controversial reminder to the person who she said ran over her dog, and some have found it offensive.

Ginger Crawford buried her 5-month-old puppy in her back yard, but she built the memorial in the front yard so every driver can see it.

"She was with me all the time and I miss her so much," she said.

Crawford said she will never forget her walk to the mailbox Nov. 16. She said she had kept her dog inside for a couple of days and hoped the walk to the mailbox might burn off some energy.

"She came out behind me like she always does and she usually stays back," Crawford said. "I happened to see her over by the fire hydrant, so I walked toward her, trying to get her to come back (toward me)."

But she said the puppy didn't listen and instead ran toward the road. That's when she said the car hit the dog.

"It flipped her, she rolled backwards and they hit her again with their back tire and threw her up here in the driveway," she said.

Crawford said that drivers often speed past her house and that she has complained about it to police, but police checked their records for the past two years and said they have no record of any speeding complaint from Crawford.

"We haven't received any calls from her specifically, requesting our assistance," said Sgt. Bobby Gibson of the Smyrna Police Department.

Crawford claimed drivers do slow down now to read her sign, and some of them find it offensive.

"If it were our dog that got outside and got killed, it would be devastating to our family, but I don't think I would be putting a sign out there saying 'Was it you?' that did that," said passing driver David Wills.

Offensive or not, Crawford said she stands by her sign and said she hopes somehow it will melt the heart of the one she said didn't even stop the day they ran over Raven.

"She was my best friend and I surely miss her. I'll always miss her," she said.

No comments: