Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Towel burning

In a story that seems to confirm every national stereotype you could possibly hope for, a Welsh coach driver was cheered on by British tourists as he set fire to the towels that German holidaymakers had left on sunbeds.

Glyn Bowden, 55, was then arrested by the Italian police, only for them to let him go a few hours later after local hotel bosses intervened.

Bowden was the driver for a coach party of 55 Brits holidaying on the Italian Riviera. He became frustrated when German holidaymakers kept trying to reserve the best sunbeds at the private beach and pool at the Viana Marina.

The first time the British tourists complained to him about the towel behaviour, he removed the towels and dumped them at the end of the pool.

He said: "The following morning the Germans put them down even earlier so I did the same - with them shaking their fists at me from their windows."

Mr Bowden continued: "The next morning about 20 towels were there again so I collected them up, put them on a pile on the beach - and lit them. All the British tourists were cheering. But just a few minutes afterwards three police officers turned up and arrested me. They were going to charge me with criminal damage but the hotel - which owned the towels -intervened on my behalf."

According to reports, no further towels have been left on the sunbeds since Mr Bowden started burning things.

2 comments:

Dx said...

Wow! Talk about starting an international incident. But it had to be done. Would I do it? Yes. Did it on Crete but no arrest.

dom said...

Of course I'd do it ! Towel laying is a despicable practice and should be outlawed by Geneva!

Had I been in Crete, I'd have cheered you on DX ... Bravo!