Thursday, February 08, 2007

InTENT on landing a job

A job hunter has landed work - by camping outside a North Sea oil firm's office.

Roman Romasov, 26, set up home in a tent at the entrance to Aberdeenbased RBG waiting for a job offer.

And yesterday the Lithuanian's persistence paid off when the firm found him a post in the stores section. Jubilant Roman said: "I'm really happy I got the job. I don't think I would have been so successful if I had not camped out."

He'll be paid four times as much as he could earn in his homeland.

Roman spent £2000 on offshore training qualifications and had fired off his CV to a host of firms. He had been working in a supermarket in Bristol but decided to head for Aberdeen with his £15 tent.

He then set up camp opposite the entrance to RBG in Dyce.

Roman said: "I have been doing courses to work offshore. It wasn't just the money. It was about finishing what I started by getting a job."

His bizarre job hunt caught the eye of bosses, although initially RBG's director of energy services Willie Rennie said there was no guarantee of employment.

Mr Rennie said: "This does seem quite bizarre although in a way it's a compliment for RBG."

A company spokeswoman said: "Mr Romasov has shown great initiative and we respect his ingenuity.

"However, we recommend for his own safety that he seeks alternative shelter."

No comments: