Sunday, February 18, 2007

A tall story

Hilary Roberts had been looking down on her dates for years.

But at first glance she knew Ross Sambridge was the man to meet her high expectations. At 7ft 4in, he was hard to miss. And Dr Roberts, 27, had a pretty good view from her 6ft 3in vantage point.

"Ross is perfect," said the scientific researcher. I'd always been looking for a tall handsome man to be my boyfriend. And Ross is certainly the tallest and most handsome man I've met."

The couple, who have a combined height of 13ft 7in, were introduced at a meeting of the Tall Person's Club of Great Britain.

Hilary was attending the club for the first time after struggling to meet men who were not intimidated by her height.

She said: "The first thing I noticed was that I wasn't the tallest woman in the room.

"I quickly started chatting to people easily because I didn't have to worry about stooping down to hear them. Then I looked over to where a very tall man was. I couldn't believe it. He looked like a giant. We hit it off immediately. I'd always found it quite strange talking to new people, but Ross and I just clicked."

Dr Roberts, and Mr Sambridge, a film maker from East Ham, East London, swopped phone numbers at the next meeting, and soon began dating.

Four years later, they are looking to set up home together in London. The club believes they are the country's tallest couple.

Dr Roberts, of Bristol, added: "Ross has really made me feel more confident. I love walking hand in hand down the street with him. And I can certainly look up to him."

Mr Sambridge thinks he is still growing. One day he may become Britain’s tallest man – a record held by 7ft 6in Chris Greener.

No comments: