Friday, June 29, 2007

Skateboarding holiday

A Devon man is preparing for his first journey abroad with a skateboard as his chosen means of transport.

Sam Benson, 20, from Westward Ho! in north Devon, is planning to skate 4,000km (2,485 miles) across five European countries in 10 weeks. He is aiming to set off on Sunday and travel through France and Switzerland, cross the Alps into Italy, then skate via Marseille to Spain.

He was inspired by Dave Cornthwaite who skateboarded across Australia.

Mr Benson, who aims to finish in Madrid in mid-September, said: "I have been skating for almost 11 years and although I enjoy it, it has never really taken me anywhere.

"I have never left the UK - this will be my first time." He added: "I have had asthma for all my life and couldn't to do much sport at school, so doing this will be a really big thing for me. I'm absolutely positive I can do it."

Mr Benson will be joined in Paris by professional longboarder Adam Colton, from Los Angeles in the USA, who will skate more than 3,000km (1,864 miles) with him.

There will also be a support team with him on the journey.

Mr Benson aims to raise money for Link Community Development, which works to improve education for African children, and the Lowe Syndrome Trust, which helps children suffering from incurable diseases.

He is also supporting Sailability Australia, which teaches disabled children to sail.

No comments: