Sunday, September 02, 2007

Hanging around for a week

A Wiltshire climber is beginning a seven day stint hanging 330ft up a cliff in Somerset to raise money for research into cancer.

Adam Young, 22, who has been climbing for 10 years, will spend the time in a porta-ledge (a tent-like structure) secured on the side of Cheddar Gorge. Porta-ledges are slightly larger than single beds - are used by climbers who need to set up camp half-way up cliffs where no natural ledge exist. Adam will have no contact with the ground during the week, but will be supplied by a support team.

"I am going to be cooking all my meals using a hanging stove," said Adam from Trowbridge. Getting dressed and going to the toilet is going to be fun," he added.

Adam, a tree surgeon for Greenman Environmental Management, is due to scale the cliff later on Sunday. He has no fear of heights but admits hanging at 330ft (100.584m) will be a challenge.

"We set up the porta-ledge the other day and it moves about a bit, it made me feel a little sick but I'll just take some sea legs beforehand," he said.

After the week-long challenge ends Adam intends to sell the 1mx2m porta-ledge on eBay to boost his fundraising effort.

"My sister was two years older than me and was diagnosed with cancer two years before her death," he said. "The problem was the liver cancer she suffered from was so rare there is no real knowledge about it so that's what I'm trying to do, to raise money for research," explained Adam.

"Her birthday was on 4 September so I will be up there on her birthday, it's hard to explain how that feels but I'll be thinking of her a lot," said Adam.

So far Adam has raised nearly £1,000.

No comments: