Thursday, January 17, 2008

End of the road for cooker

A keen cook who has used the same oven for 58 years hopes to trade it in for a modern model – after the hotplate broke and no one could fix it.

Dorothy Phoenix, of Myrtle Grove, Barkis-land, West Yorkshire, bought the Revo cooker from her local electricity board when she married in 1949. She said things were built to last in those days and had hoped the oven would outlive her.

"I was sure the oven would see me out," Dorothy. "I'd be devastated if it ended up at the tip. I'm not sure anyone would want to use it these days. It should be a museum piece. I just want it to go to a good home"

Dorothy, who used to work at Lloyds Bank and HBOS, bought the cooker from the Yorkshire Electricity Board shop in Halifax after she married her late husband Peter.

"It was brand new and state-of-the-art. At the time, everything in the shops was green and cream. I have no idea how much it was, but we had saved up for it. I have cooked many family meals on it – a lot of roast dinners and Christmas cakes. I have always liked cooking. And it has never broken down. The only problem has been finding a bulb for the red temperature light. I do like old things, my couch is 25 years older than the oven. But I want a modern cooker."

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

jeez, does the woman every buy new stuff?...her couch is 25 years older than the stove and its 58 years old?....dang

dom said...

Judging by her clothes .... no