Monday, January 21, 2008

Hero

A BOY has been hailed a hero after he gave his father mouth-to-mouth and ran 3km for help when their car rolled over. Lachlan "Lochie" Nally, 11, saw that dad Matthew's chest wasn't moving after their car rolled in the South Australian north yesterday.

The brave boy, who suffered minor injuries, performed CPR on his father then ran barefoot 3km to the Koolunga hotel. He bashed on the door and woke the owner, who called an ambulance.

"I went back to the pub because they were the only people I knew in Koolunga . . . I was scared and it was pitch black and I couldn't see anything," Lochie said yesterday.

Mum Kim March described her son as fearless and as someone who would help anyone.

"He jumped out the car window and he ran for help and that just blew me away," she said. "For 3km, and it's pitch dark by yourself -- for a little boy it's amazing. I told him he's saved his dad's life . . . I am just ecstatic he did a fantastic job. I'm very proud of him."

Chief Insp Graham Goodwin said it was "one of the most heroic acts I've seen".

"As you can imagine he's been in a very serious collision so that's distressing in itself," he said. He said Lochie's bravery should be recognised.

Police are investigating the circumstances of the accident.

Mr Nally, 36, is in a serious condition in an Adelaide hospital.

No comments: