Monday, February 18, 2008

Kidney donor

After Laura Moon started suffering stomach pains, doctors decided to carry out an ultrasound scan on the teenager. When they saw the results, they were astounded. For the scan revealed that she had four kidneys. The 18-year-old is now hoping to donate the extra organs for transplant operations.

Only a handful of people in the UK have four kidneys, although having three is relatively common. But Laura's case is especially unusual because all four are fully formed and functional.

Laura, a customer services adviser from Leeds, said: "I think if I've got four, I don't need all four. Why not donate if there's someone else in need? I hope I can help somebody else while I am young. I will do everything in my power to become a donor."

It is not known why people develop multiple, or duplex, organs but one in 125 people have one extra kidney, normally a partial organ. Laura's condition often causes the patient no problems, although sufferers can be more prone to urinary infections.

She discovered she had the unusual anatomy six months ago when she was undergoing tests following a road accident.

"I was in a car crash a year ago and six months later I began having a lot of pain in my stomach. My GP referred me to the hospital for a scan."

No comments: