Thursday, October 19, 2006

Boy finishes race with broken leg


A Nottingham schoolboy helped his team win a national orienteering race despite having to run for 50 minutes with a broken leg.

Peter Lynas, 15, from Woodthorpe, was taking part in the British Schools' Score Championship in Berkshire when he slipped and broke his fibia. Peter, vice-captain of the Nottingham High School team, said the accident happened just minutes into the race.

He carried on to run a further 6km (3.7 miles) and finished 12th in the event.
"My foot was in a funny position, so I just moved it back to where I thought it should be and then carried on.

"It did hurt really badly and I could see the start line and the ambulance but I couldn't let the team down, so I carried on running, " he said. "It did swell up but I just didn't look at it while I was running the race," he added.

The school won the team awards for the lower and upper secondary age classes at the race organised by Berkshire Orienteers at Park Wood in Berkshire.

Peter was taken to Nottingham's Queen's Medical Centre after the race and is expected to have his leg in plaster for six weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What dedication. He certainly deserved the win..

dom said...

Being a typical Brit teen he was probably high on drugs and pissed, he never felt the pain til after