Sunday, November 26, 2006

Amazing feet !

HOTSHOT Andrew Edwards may well have kicked his way into the world record books with one of the most amazing feats ever seen on a football pitch, writes Ray Parker.

The 25-year-old Caldicot player, who lives in Newport, scored a hat-trick - the three goals all direct from corners - in a MacWhirter Welsh League, Reserve Division (East) win over Risca.

And not even the Association of Football Statisticians have heard of anyone managing such an achievement before.

Edwards' staggering efforts earned him a first-team call and he came off the substitutes' bench to score a third goal for Caldicot in their 3-0 away win over Briton Ferry in the Second Division.

Edwards said: "I have never scored direct from a corner before. But on this occasion they were all from inswingers - two with my right foot and the third from the left. The opening goal was in the first half with the wind against me and the two remaining goals were in the second-half with the wind going for me."

A modest Edwards added: "I was very pleased - but more pleased that we won. I didn't play too badly which I was more pleased about."

A spokesman for the Association of Football Statisticians, said: "I have never heard of that happening and I doubt if it has happened. I think it is unique."

Now that the AFS have been informed they will be circulating their members of the achievement to see if there is a recording of such a feat.

And fiance Jacqui wasn't going to miss out on the action. "He couldn't have achieved it without me washing his kit every week!"

Bookmakers William Hill said they would have offered odds of 10,000-1 on Andrew's incredible treble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought I was famous appearing on Sky Sports News, BBC Wales and in The Sun newspaper, but I know I've really hit the big time being part of Dom's Weird News! Keep up the good work Dom!
Andrew Edwards, Caldicot Town AFC.