Sunday, January 14, 2007

Dozy burglar

A CHEEKY thief stripped a gran's flat bare - then moved all her stuff next door. Shocked pensioner Ann Connell could not believe her eyes when she got home to find everything she owned had been nicked.

The burglar had stolen all her belongings - even taking her doormat, kitchen mop, 5ft carpet rug and light bulbs. He also bagged three TVs,two coffee tables,her telephone,dining room table and her three-piece suite.

Only one thing had been missed in the entire flat - widow Mrs Connell's £1,500 engagement ring was found lying on the floor.But when cops investigated, they found the entire stash set up in a derelict flat next door.

A man found sleeping on Mrs Connell's sofa was then arrested on suspicion of burglary.
The former pub landlady said: "Imagine how I felt when I walked in, I just could not believe it. They had taken absolutely everything. All my jewellery had been taken except the one thing in the world I cared about - my diamond ring. I think they must have knocked it off the coffee table as they grabbed it."

Officers found two windows identically cut out in each flat and believe the goods were passed through them. All Mrs Connell's belongings had been set out in the flat. The thief had even laid out her rug in the hall.

Police only realised whose property it was when they found a mobile phone and called the only number in its contacts book, which turned out to be Mrs Connell's daughter, Michelle Coheeney.

Because she was ill, Mrs Connell, 64, had been staying at other daughter Laura Doherty's house in Tulse Hill when the raid happened.

Police rang her at 3.10am on Wednesday to tell her the flat in Wisden house,off Meadow Road, had been broken into.

She said: "Can you believe it? The flat has been empty since September and it was the last place I would have thought my stuff would be. Apparently the thief had made next door look really cosy with all my things. I'm so relieved now to get them all back."

No comments: