Monday, January 15, 2007

Sylvester Stallone: 'Reading's goal was offside, or whatever'

SYLVESTER STALLONE declared himself an Everton supporter after being knocked out by his reception at Goodison yesterday.

The Hollywood legend was in Liverpool to promote his new film, Rocky Balboa, which opens later this week.

Stallone, 60, attended yesterday's Premiership game between Everton and Reading as guest of Everton shareholder Robert Earl, founder of the Planet Hollywood chain of restaurants backed by the actor.

After Stallone's four-limousine entourage pulled up outside the stadium, the American stepped out to greet Everton supporters lining the streets, shaking hands and signing autographs.

Some fans had adapted their Everton kits to welcome the actor while one brought a pair of Rocky's familiar Stars and Stripes boxing shorts for Stallone to sign.

Sly Stallone speaking in the Independent:- "That was some experience. The whole day far exceeded my expectations but the cheer when I walked on to the pitch, given that I'm from another country and everything, was just incredible. It was easily the loudest cheer I have ever received.

But then the whole day was great. I knew a little about the city, of course, because of all the music. But it was the first time I had been there - and to go there and see a game was incredible.

I did not know Everton before this - in America you tend to only hear about three or four clubs, so I'd heard of Arsenal, of Manchester United and of Liverpool. Now I realise there are many other clubs in England, and especially what a great club Everton are, with their history and everything.

I went down into the locker room beforehand and met the players and the manager. If Everton have a couple more players - the spirit is there, and they fought back hard, especially given how the Reading goal was so questionable, being offside, or whatever. Although Reading played good as well, of course. I'd hoped it was going to be a six-point turnaround, but it was a great game. My man of the match? It would have to be Johnson.

I'm definitely going back. The weather was incredible - it was like Miami. And yes, I'm an Everton fan now."

The final score was Everton 1 Reading 1 ( Everton go 7th)

No comments: