Thursday, May 25, 2006

Grumpy Uncle


A six-minute film showing a grumpy man scolding a fellow Hong Kong bus rider for interrupting his phone call has become one of the most popular videos online.

Bus Uncle, as the film is commonly known, has been viewed nearly 1.7 million times on the video website Youtube.com - the second-most-viewed video on the site in May as of Thursday - spawning spoofs and new slang drawn from the ranting subject's emotionally charged soliloquy.

The grainy film was apparently recorded using a mobile phone.

The film starts out when the protagonist, a middle-aged man, reacts strongly when a young man sitting behind him taps his shoulder to ask him to keep his voice down while talking on the phone.

"I don't know you. You don't know me. Why do you do this?" the infuriated bus rider says, punctuating the sentence by jabbing his right hand downward in the air.

When the young man, who rarely talks back during the harangue, expresses an unwillingness to continue the conversation, the middle-aged man explodes, "This is not resolved! This is not resolved! This is not resolved!" - which has now become a catch phrase in Hong Kong.

He goes on to say, "I face pressure. You face pressure. Why did you provoke me?"

In another twist, just when the dispute seems to have ended after the young man apologizes and the two shake hands, the young man takes issue with profanity used by the middle-aged man, who then launches into another round of profanities.

The video has inspired numerous spoofs, including a karaoke version and a rap song using the middle-aged man's refrain, "I face pressure. You face pressure." Internet users have also added Chinese and English subtitles to the dialogue, which is in Chinese.

It still isn't clear who shot the film and it isn't certain if the film was staged or not. The middle-aged man hasn't been identified, but a man claiming to be the victim of the verbal abuse has been interviewed on Hong Kong's Commercial Radio.

"Why did I just sit there? I paid to be on the bus. You don't think I would get off the bus and waste my money, do you?" said the man, identified only as Alvin.

Youtube.com is a website that allows users to post videos for sharing. The site ranks the videos by the number of times they have been watched.

I watched it and it's all fuckin Chinese to me !!

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE FOUND MY SOUL MATE..

dom said...

I'll find hios cell phone # for you JS