Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Piloting the family

A seat in the cockpit used to be a childhood treat for pilot's daughter Amanda Terry. These days it's her job.

And Daddy is still right there, although now they are colleagues as well as family.

Captain Pete Terry, 60, and Miss Terry, 29, said to be the first father-and-daughter flight team in Europe, were both at the controls of a recent Thomsonfly Boeing 737 flight to Alicante. Mr Terry, who has been flying for more than 30 years, is based at Bournemouth International-Airport. His daughter, who gained her pilot's licence at 17, is normally based in Manchester for the airline but was recently sent to Bournemouth.

"Amanda has loved flying since she was a little girl," Mr Terry said. "I think it is fantastic that she is following in my footsteps and I am extremely proud of her. It was just like flying with any other professional officer but there was the added extra that she was my daughter.

"I made a minor announcement to the passengers introducing both of us and said that Amanda was my daughter."

Miss Terry, whose mother and sister were among the passengers on board, said: "The flight was perfect and my dad was brilliant."

No comments: