Friday, July 14, 2006

The Birds

San Luis Obispo , California - There's pecking disorder in the city. Brewer's blackbirds, apparently protecting their young during nesting season, are swooping down and attacking the heads of pedestrians.

"On a bad day, we get about 15 attacks an hour," Nautical Bean coffee house business manager Brett Jones said. "I thought about naming a coffee after them."

Customers are often seen flailing their hands over their heads as they walk toward the Laguna Village Shopping Center cafe.

Last week, while walking into the Nautical Bean Espresso Cafe, customer Charlie Magnuson felt tiny claws tug on his peppered hair.

"Once you've been scratched," he said, "it does scare you a little. But not really, because they won't go for your eyes. I think it's a fun thing as long as no one gets hurt."

Wildlife experts said the birds are simply protecting their young. Capt. David Fox of the California Department of Fish and Game said the behavior is a common defense mechanism.

Once nesting season is over at the end of summer , the harassment of Nautical Bean patrons will likely stop, he said.

4 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

if the owner was smart he would fashion some snake hats and sell them to his customers to wear to and from the coffee place..ha

Anonymous said...

When I lived in New Orleans, I had a bluejay nest in my front yard.. the baby fell out of the nest and into my rubbish can. Kind as I was, I went to tip over the can in hopes of saving the baby. That bitchin bluejay came swooping and attacking me.... I did get the can tipped over... but not without a bit of fright from bird attacks... screw their coffee.. I'd go elsewhere. (If I drank coffee)

dom said...

What a snake hat with spikes on it to kill the bastids ?
Well at least you tried Debbie :)
Good job it wasn't a pub is what I say !

yellowdoggranny said...

rocky used to lay in the yard on his back like he was dead and the blue jays would dive bomb him...he would wait...wait...wait...gotcha...he killed at least one a year..them jays are mean bastids..