Sunday, June 25, 2006

Two holes in one on same round

It's something every golfer dreams of achieving at least once in a lifetime.

But Chris Tugwell ended a ten-year wait to score his first hole-in-one by hitting two in the same round.

The 25-year-old IT worker stunned himself and opponent Derek Miller by achieving the feat twice at Bruntsfield Golf Course, near Barnton.

The odds of hitting two in one game are estimated to be around 67 million to one.

Mr Tugwell, from Longstone, Edinburgh, was representing Lothianburn Golf Club in a club match when he hit a seven-iron shot into the hole at the 157-yard seventh.

Despite other players gesturing excitedly to him as he walked up the fairway, he refused to believe it had gone straight until he reached the green.

"I didn't believe it until I actually saw the ball inside the cup, and it put me on such a high," he said.

Amazingly he repeated the feat just five holes later by acing the 168-yard 12th, this time with a five iron.

"Even after I'd taken my swing and hit the ball really sweetly towards the green, I never thought it had a chance of going in. It was only when the guy I was playing said 'good shot' and told me it was going in that I realised I might have done it again. To his credit, he took it really well because you don't really expect your opponent to get one hole in one, let alone two. I was absolutely gobsmacked, but I didn't want to believe it until I'd actually seen the ball in the hole. All the time I was walking down the fairway, I was really nervous and excited but just tried to laugh it off because I really didn't think it had gone in. When I saw that it had, I was just so amazed. You expect to have a bit of luck from time to time when you play golf, but to get two holes-in-one is just something else. All the rest of my team were shocked when they found out."

Mr Tugwell, who has a handicap of five, was playing a singles match in a league encounter against top-of-the-table Bruntsfield when he pulled off the feat last Thursday.

His achievements on the course inspired him to buy a lottery ticket - but his luck had run out and he didn't pick up a penny.

The odds of hitting 2 holes-in-one is 67,000,000 - 1

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

wow, that's really cool...but explain to me...what the fuck does gobsmacked mean???

dom said...

flabbergasted, utterly astounded, shocked

yellowdoggranny said...

why im bogsmacked, i had no idea.